If you’re anything like us, the first thing we do when the sun starts to shine is get together with all our family and friends for a barbeque to make the most of the weather…it is Britain after all!
When people tend to think about barbeques, sausages and steak always seem to be at the top of everyone’s shopping list, but we’re here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be all burgers and bread. Why not mix it up this summer with Kirsty’s Balanced Barbeque Banquet? We’re bringing you the best recipes from nibbles and starters to main dishes and desserts… the ultimate inspiration for healthy barbeques.
- Crushed Pea & Mint Dip with Carrot Sticks: Sophie Godwin from the BBC Good Food Team has created the perfect pre-barbeque snack. Low in fat, gluten free and super simple to make it’s definitely a winner with the Kirsty’s team. All you need to do is blitz defrosted frozen pea, ricotta, lemon juice, and chopped mint in a food processor and serve with carrot sticks… easy as one, two, three.
- Stuffed Peppadews: Another simple, low-fat, gluten-free nibble, your barbeque guest would never be able to tell that they take just 10 minutes to put together and use only four ingredients.
- Chargrilled Aubergine and Red Pepper Roll-Ups: Nothing says barbeque like chargrilled veggies and roasted red peppers. These vegetable wraps take a little while to prep, so make sure you give yourself enough time to perfect them before letting them loose on the kids. They’ll be coming back for more, we guarantee it.
- Garlic and Chilli Prawn Skewers:‘Let’s put another shrimp on the barbie’… We’re talking about prawns, however shrimps can also be used for this temptingly tasty recipe. All you need to do is marinade the prawns in garlic, chili, oil, lime juice, salt and pepper for 15 minutes before threading onto skewers and grilling for 2 minutes on each side.
- Fruit Skewers: No barbeques required for this one, just bamboo or metal skewers and fruit in abundance! From strawberries and blueberries to apples and bananas, you can choose your favourite fruits to create your own skewer. If you’re in need of a sweet treat you could also melt dark chocolate to dip the fruit into!
- Kirsty’s Blueberry Cheesecake: We may be bias but our Blueberry Cheesecake is the perfect end to a barbeque banquet. Gluten, wheat, dairy and soya free, we are constantly wiping crumbs away from our mouths at Kirsty’s HQ and best of all? It makes 12 servings, enough to cater for all your guests (or you for a week!).
We love all these recipes and hope you do too. If you’re trying them out over the next few weeks, don’t forget to leave a comment and send us your photos on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, we love seeing them!