5 Amazing Slaw Side Dish Recipes Perfect With Kirstys Meals
CARROT & RADISH SLAW WITH A TURMERIC & MINT DRESSING
Perfect served with Kirsty’s Spanish Chicken
Prep Time 25 mins/ serves 6 people
- 6 medium carrots, peeled
- 5 large radishes
- 1-inch piece peeled ginger
- 1 half ripe avocado
- ⅔ cup tightly packed mint leaves
- 1 large cove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- Shred or grate the carrots, radishes and ginger and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Finely chop the avocado, herbs, garlic (if possible use a food processor) and add the lemon juice, turmeric and salt and mix. Then drizzle over the water and olive oil to create a dressing.
- Toss the dressing with the shredded vegetables in a serving bowl.
VEGETABLE SLAW WITH A LIME & CUMIN DRESSING
Perfect served with Kirsty’s Malaysian Butternut Squash Curry
Prep time 25 mins/ serves 6 people
- • ½ a red pepper & ½ a yellow pepper
- 1 large Granny Smith green apple
- 2 medium carrots- peeled
- 4 spring onions
- 1 small jalapeño
- 1 red cabbage head
- Handful of fresh coriander
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 limes
- Slice or shred the red cabbage
- Slice ½ of both the red and yellow bell peppers into thin strips
- Peel, core and slice the Granny Smith apple into matchsticks
- Peel and grate 2 medium carrots and slice 4 spring onions
- Mince in a small jalapeño- leave the seeds if you want more spice
- And roughly chop up a handful of fresh coriander
- Toss all of it together in a large bowl
- For the cumin lime dressing add ¾ teaspoon of cumin and ½ teaspoon of ground coriander into a small bowl- then add 1 tablespoon of honey and the juice of 2 limes. Whisk together and pour in 3 tablespoons of olive oil- lastly season with a few grinds of black pepper
KALE, PURPLE CABBAGE & CARROT SLAW WITH A SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE
Perfect served with Kirsty’s Cottage Pie
Prep Time 20 mins/ serves 6 people
- 1 bag curly kale
- 1 small head purple cabbage
- 5 medium carrots
- 1 minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons gluten-free Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Rinse the kale and pat dry. Remove any tough inner ribs. Working in batches, pulse a few times in a food processor until finely chopped (keep large enough for texture). Put into a large bowl.
- Remove the tough outer leaves of the head of cabbage. Slice in half and trim away the white, tough inner core. Slice into chunks and load into a food processor, working in batches depending on the size of your food processor. Pulse until finely chopped. Add chopped cabbage to the bowl.
- Peel the carrots and trim the ends. Slice into 1-inch pieces and pulse in a food processor until finely chopped. Add the carrots to the bowl of cabbage and kale.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the minced shallots and Dijon mustard. Add the red wine vinegar and whisk to combine. Very slowly pour in the olive oil, whisking vigorously as you do so, to emulsify the vinaigrette. Pour over the slaw, ensure the dressing coats the slaw evenly.
SESAME BRUSSELS SPROUTS SLAW
Perfect served with Kirsty’s Lentil Cottage Pie
Prep Time 10 mins (plus 30 mins resting time)/ serves 4 people
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 450g brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine rice vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, soy sauce, honey and sesame oil. Slowly whisk in olive oil in a steady stream, until well mixed. Add a pinch of salt.
- Place shredded brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Slowly mix in rice vinegar dressing and toss until well combined. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and top with sesame seeds, if you like and serve.
BRAISED RED CABBAGE WITH APPLES AND PECANS
Perfect served with Kirsty’s Slow Cooked Beef
Prep Time 15 mins with a 45 min cook time / serves 6 people
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 red cabbage head, cored and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, and cut into matchsticks
- In a large skillet that has a cover, melt the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Add apples and onions and sauté for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add shredded cabbage and continue to saute for about 5 more minutes, stirring often. Add the coconut sugar, balsamic, apple cider vinegar, and water.
- Reduce heat to low (very low, like a 1-2 on the dial) and cover. Continue to cook, stirring every 10-15 minutes or so, until softened.
- After 45 minutes top with toasted pecans and serve.